Monday, March 15, 2010

Day 3

Sunday was our 3rd day with the kids. This was moving day. We had to pack up our room which took an hour and a half. We tried to fit it all into 4 suitcases but ended up having to take the 5th one Kai foster family gave us. We had to hire a van shuttle from our hotel because there was no way we were going to fit into a taxi. At the airport our driver saw that we had our hands full and helped us carry our luggage all the way through the train station. It was about a two hour ride back up to Taipei. The kids did well until the end of the trip Naveia was feeling uncomfortable because she needed to go to the bathroom but was refusing. John ended up taking her anyways and that was the beginning of a meltdown. So here we were arriving in Taipei with a not so happy child. Once again the helpful Taiwanese people helped us with our luggage all the way to our hotel which was like a 4-5 blocks. The lady helping us talked to Naveia through her tears and all she had to say was she wanted some ice cream. We could not check into our room right away so I asked them where we could get some ice cream. We went up to the 2nd floor and Naveia got her ice cream she wanted. She liked chocolate. We were all very exhausted by the time we got to our room. We laid down to take a nap and woke up 5 hours later at 8:30 pm. Then we hurried ourselves down to the hotel restaurant to catch dinner before they closed at 9. Naveia ordered pizza with shrimp and bacon. Kai so far only likes noodles, rice and fish. He has a weird texture issue and will often spit out food he has chewed for while. It was a hard day for all of us. Naveia started showing her preference for John over me. While I knew from our classes that an adopted child chooses to bond with one parent in the beginning, it hit me harder than I expected from the exhaustion. At least it is not both of them, Kai has chosen me first. He is a good baby.

4 comments:

Jessie in PA said...

Hi Mandy and Family! It's Jessie. I have been reading your blog obsessively! Re-Reading and always checking for the next entry! lol.. I am so happy everything is going so well with you guys and the kids seem to be adjusting great considering. Thanks for the shout out about the "no visa fees". Woo hoo! Mandy, I have to say, your other pics on the blog, do not do you justice. Your pics from Taiwan show just how beautiful you are, I love your eyes. Ok, John you are handsome too! ha ha . And the children... Mandy they are so adorable and they look so happy with the two of you. They are so precious! They look so healthy and sweet! Thank you so much for sharing your journey with me. It is such a joy to follow you. Enjoy the rest of your trip! Prayers for a safe return:o)

Greg Adkins said...

The day we traveled from Kaoshiung to Taipei was a really long day for us as well. All of the buildup and waiting and waiting and waiting is finally over and that was the day we sort of crashed. I totally get the unexpected 5 hour nap! Hang in there!

The bonding thing is tough... even though I knew our daughter was going to bond with only one of us more than likely... even though I was prepared for this, I was really surprised by how much it hurt my feelings. It was (and still is) hard to disconnect the head from the heart. Don't be discouraged! It will get better. We've been home a month and we've come so far... she would barely look at me in Taiwan and now she runs into my arms when I come home each night and even lets me steal some kisses.

We're enjoying keeping up with you guys! Thank you for taking the time to post this... I know how crazy it is!

childresss' said...

Sounds exhausting! I understand the having a Will like a lion thing. Syvon has refused to go potty at Pre-k for 6 mths now.

Have safe, happy and peaceful travels. We'll be praying for all to go well during the long flight home. I know Zarra and Zane are thrilled and cannot stand the wait. Looking forward to hearing all about the 1st meeting w/ the kids and nanny!!

Sending much love and prayers for God's Grace to sustain each of you as you take on so many new roles!

Love,
Corrin, Brandon and Syvon

Anonymous said...

That had to be a very stressful trip,quite a transition for the kids? There's the language barrier to deal with, too. You and John have to be physically and emotionally drained. But God has called you to this, and He is with you every step of the way. He has really laid it on my heart to pray for all of you during your trip, and that's what I'm doing every day.

Nancy